Picking out a new sex toy is about adventure, and exploration, and self-discovery. If you’re just diving into toy buying, the options can seem like A LOT. This guide lists the best sex toys available in 2020—body-safe sex toys only.1
As a professional sex toy reviewer, I spend hours every day reading about, writing about, and testing new toys. This post will combine my experience (and my personal favorite sex toys!) with the input of a dozen other reviewers and hundreds of normal buyers. Each body-safe sex toy category describes how different toy types stimulate (why would you want one over the other?), plus my top recommendations!
- 1 Vibrators
- 2 Dildos
- 3 Anal Plugs
- 4 Harnesses / Strap-On Play
- 5 Prostate Toys
- 6 Penis Toys
Vibrators do magical things! And some are much better than others: the majority of users prefer toys on the rumbly side. Their vibes are lower-pitched and travel through flesh better than buzzy vibrators.
There are two keys to choosing a good vibe for your body: how pinpoint (= focused) do you like your stimulation, and how powerful do you want the vibes to be?
These small vibes deliver focused stimulation to the clitoris (or penis or nipples, etc.). They’re the easiest toy category to hold while using a dildo, or during penis-in-vagina sex. See my full bullet vibe ranking here.
- We-Vibe Tango: The bullet vibe gold standard. Super rumbly & strong. Hard plastic, with a slanted tip for focusing pressure.
- FemmeFunn Ultra Bullet: Just about as powerful as the Tango (for $30 less), but silicone coated for a softer touch—and flexible! Comfortable under/between bodies. The only downside? Lots o’ patterns.
- BMS Essential Bullet: The best really cheap vibe around. For $21, it’s got power and some rumbliness too.
- NS Luxe Collection Bullets: An excellent mid-range option (fairly powerful, rumbly enough) that I recommend to people who aren’t sure whether they want super-duper strong vibes. Luxe Electra is my favorite.
Full-sized wands are for broad stimulation: the powerful ones can truly make your entire pelvic floor shake. They’re awesome for anyone whose clit is sensitive to direct pressure, and work as penis vibes too! See my complete wand guide for power rankings.
- (Hitachi) Magic Wands, now by Vibratex: The original, and the real deal. SO GOOD for anyone who wants all-over sensation. The newer models are better than the Original: both the (cordless) Magic Wand Rechargeable and the (corded, but cheaper) Magic Wand Plus have 4 speeds instead of just 2, plus a body-safe, non-staining silicone head.
- PalmPower Recharge: A lovely petite wand (1.5″ head) that’s waterproof and cordless, with a slim, tapered handle. This one has a good speed range, with very close to the kick of a full-sized wand.
- FemmeFunn Ultra Wand: Also waterproof, cordless, & rechargeable. Starts very strong! I call it a “squirting” wand.
- Lovense Domi 2: Edges out the Magic Wand Rechargeable for power—and gives you custom control and long-distance play options through Lovense’s app. (Full review here.)
- Doxy wands, especially Die Cast: The most intense handheld around. LOTS and LOTS of power here. Unfortunately, a higher fail rate & higher price than Magic Wands.
Great for G-spot, but also good for clitoral stimulation: G-spot vibes are halfway between pinpoint and broad stimulation. Their longer length means they’re easier to hold on the clit while you’re flat on your back or being penetrated from behind, for example. See my G-spot vibe ranking table here for more of the best.
- Pillow Talk Sassy: A beautifully rumbly vibe with a gently protruding head, silky smooth silicone, and no patterns!!! The slightly flexible shaft makes this vibe so comfortable for me. My best orgasms-per-dollar-value vibrator.
- Blush’s Wellness G Curve has a great vibe range and a G-spotting shape that’s a little more subtle. And of course a very good amount of power.
- Jopen Key Comet II Wand: Harder G-spot pressure. Its upper half resembles the Pure Wand’s very effective shape. Could use more steady vibe speeds, though.
- We-Vibe Rave: App-controlled, long-distance-capable toy. Rumbly vibes and good power. The asymmetrical shape is easy to hold in place, but not ideal for thrusting.
App-Controlled & Wearable Vibrators
These toys enable a partner to tease & stimulate the vibe wearer—throughout the course of an evening out, or as foreplay tools in your bedroom. The Bluetooth connections of the first 3 below mean that you can use them long-distance, as well as locally. See my full ranking of app-controlled vaginal vibes here, based on my public play & long-distance experiences.
- OhMiBod Esca 2: IMO the best wearable toy because Esca 2’s vibes are rumbliest. Also works well for long-distance play; I like having my partner use the Tap function fast. The flexible tail is superior to Lush 2’s tail, next.
- Lovense Lush 2: More powerful than Esca 2, but with a slightly buzzy quality. The larger bulb is nice. The tail has a tendency to twist at weird angles and not bend back into shape easily. Lovense’s app is top-notch.
- We-Vibe Moxie: A new external-only vibe by We-Vibe, with better vibration quality than almost any other panty-style vibrator.2 A magnetic clip holds it in place in underwear. It uses We-Vibe’s trademark We-Connect app.
- Screaming O Panty Vibe: The only not app-controlled vibe here, and therefore the most affordable. This set comes with the pretty-good Charged Vooom bullet plus a thong and a remote control.
Air Pulsation/Pressure Wave Clit Stimulators
These unique toys provide extremely clit-centric stimulation. All include a silicone mouth that surrounds the clitoris and pulses out air. Speeds range from very gentle to very fast. Many love Womanizer or Satisfyer, and have even experienced their first orgasm with them. Other users (of the sensitive-clit variety) find them overwhelming. See my full clit-pulsator ranking here, with lots of detailed info.
- All Womanizer toys, especially the Premium, Classic, and Liberty: The most luxe and overall best-rated air pulsation brand. The Classic is an update to the previously discontinued (now reborn!) Womanizer Pro 40, but with an oval head that Womanizer decided was more ergonomic: and I agree 100%.
- We-Vibe Melt: Hands-down my favorite clit-sucker: because it does feel most suction-y to me. Plus, Melt’s slim, curved body is designed to fit into vaginal sex better Womanizers. Best of all, the silky silicone head is flexible and so comfortable.
- Lelo Sona 2: A polarizing option: people either love or hate it. I think the vibro-pulsations are dreamy. I would not recommend this toy to people with larger clits, as Sonas offer the tightest mouth.
- Satisfyer Pro 2 Next Generation: Much more budget-friendly option with a large circular head and 11 speeds.
Rabbits aim for clit and vag at once, of course! In theory they make a toy user’s life easier that way, but because clit-to-vag distance differs from person to person, less-adjustable models may not work for some users.
- Lovehoney Happy Rabbits: The most-hyped new rabbit release I’ve ever seen, the Happy Rabbits get generally good reviews. They feature fairly strong vibrations, plus thrusting, rotating-bead, and even triple-stimulation models.
- We-Vibe Nova: Super-adjustable external arm, meant to ensure that this toy works for almost any vulva. Nova has the rumbliest vibes in any dual stimulator. (With a price point to match!)
For anyone who wants penetration—but not necessarily vibration. My personal favorite body-safe sex toy type!
Looking for something penis-like? Dual-density silicone dildos (full guide here) offer the most realistic feel overall. The soft outer layer makes you think of skin, while the hard core gives an erect effect.
- BMS Naked Addiction Dual Density Dildo: The most skin-like finish I’ve ever felt in a silicone dildo, and a realistic firmness balance too. Plus strong suction cup. I just wish the head was larger sometimes!
- VixSkin by Vixen Creations: The best-selling lineup of body-safe realistic dildos. Super-duper squishy outside. Perfect for clenching around and fast (or slow!) thrusting.
- Blush Neo Elite Dual Density: Best-made affordable realistic silicone dildos. Quite soft, with a slick finish that really glides.
- NS Novelties Colours Dual Density & NS ColourSoft: The Colours Dual Density 8 Inch is the best large realistic that’s also cheap. See my comparison video showing those and the ColourSoft toys, which are a single layer of flexible silicone. I recommend the ColourSoft 8 Inch above all other suction cup dildos for wall-mounted use.
G-Spot Dildos / Prostate Dildos
Whether you want to find your G-spot/ease into prostate play, or you already know exactly what you’re doing, these body-safe toys have just the right shape. Forward curve + pronounced ridge for the win!
- VixSkin Mustang: The best silicone G-spot dildo around, hands-down. The big, squishy head is truly delicious. (Pummel me, please.)
- Njoy Pure Wand: Ideal for discovering one’s G-spot, for learning to squirt, and for hard stimulation. The Pure Wand is beautifully made.
- Uberrime Splendid: An artisan two-layered dildo that’s a little firmer than VixSkin Mustang, but still soft. Great if you need just a liiiiittle more pressure.
- Godemiche Ambit: An abstract toy with a huge curve, in firmer (but not hard) silicone. And oh, there are sparkly colorations!
Thrusting & Vibrating Dildos
Thrusting dildos (some of which vibrate too) are the way to go for lazy penetration. You don’t have to jerk them by hand! See my self-propelled toy guide for a full ranking of thrusting, pulsating, & rotating dildos.
- Velvet Thruster Mini Teddy: This upgrade to the original Velvet Thrusters is quieter, easier to hold, and will stick to smooth surfaces (video here). Combined with the VixSkin Holster soft silicone sheath, the Velvet Mini Teddy is the closest thing to being screwed by a (well-endowed) penis that I’ve ever felt in a sex toy. These two are definitely coming with me to my desert island.
- Maia Max & Monroe: Slimline thrusters that include a good, adjustable suction cup and a remote control. 3 thrust speeds plus 10 vibration functions.
- Fun Factory Stronic pulsating dildos: Magnet-propelled thrusting pulsation, at a rapid-fire pace. Easiest thruster to use while lying back & holding a clit vibe. See a comparison of Stronic models here.
Fantasy toys offer a lot of fascinating textures. Dragons and tentacles and unicorn horns, but also so many other creative & non-representational shapes. See my list of vetted fantasy silicone makers here.
- Strange Bedfellas & Pleasure Forge: Etsy shops with beautiful colors, diverse textures, and good customer service.
- Bad Dragon: BD is king of the fantasy toy world, and shapes like Flint will always draw interest.
- Geeky Sex Toys: Fun, pop-culture-themed dildos. These are in firmer silicone than most other fantasy makers, so toys like Drodong will have you feeling all the texture (scales + ridges, in this case!).
Truly BIG Dildos
If you want it large, huge, or truly super-sized plus body-safe, these are the best:
- Mr. Hankey’s Toys: High-quality handmade silicone, from not-huge to ginormous sizes. I love the 75% soft firmness, especially for toys over 2 inches diameter. Mr. Hankey’s Toys are very polished and glide beautifully. Plus the Vac hole can make them vibrating dildos: this is TOO GOOD with Topher Michels.
- SquarePegToys®: A maker with a long (over 20-year) history who’s deeply invested in anal play. Stretching toys, depth toys, puppy tails, SquarePeg has it. The lifecast dildos stand out if you want an abundance of skin texture rubbing against your hole: Leo Harness in SuperSoft Bronze silicone and all these SuperSoft toys include an OK suction cup too.
If you enjoy penetration but aren’t into shapes that look like dick, these body-safe sex toys are excellent choices. Also browse SheVibe’s non-phallic dildos and use the left sidebar to filter by width and/or insertable length (also price!).
- Most Tantus silicone dildos: Tantus has been making ultra-premium silicone dildos for 20 years. The Silk is a great beginner toy (for pegging or smooth penetration), and the new Super Soft dildos are much squishier than previous Tantus offerings.
- Blush Avant P3: A more realistic shape but in bright colors, this toy is very tapered. That’s why I recommend it for anyone new to either vaginal or anal penetration. The satin smooth finish is a nice touch too.
This toy category has a lot of overlap with insertable/G-spot vibrators: but are typically more phallic or even harnessable in the case of the first option.
- Blush Impressions vibrating suction cup dildos: These are the most powerful vibrating dildos I’ve ever felt, and the (harness-compatible) suction cups are good too. The vibes rock my pelvic floor: comparison of all 5 models here.
- Fun Factory Big Boss G5 & Mr. Boss: Pretty strong, and rumbly, semi-realistic vibes. Big Boss is a bit flexible—awesome because it’s thick! Mr. Boss has a pointy ridge for concentrated G-spot pressure.
- Satisfyer Vibes: Available in many shapes & bright colors; the vibes are strong and high-frequency (= kinda buzzy). Master is a budget version of Fun Factory Big Boss that’s flexible like the latter—but not as rumbly.
Anal play can be super fun and so stimulating. Just make sure you go slow, use a good lube, and listen to your body for best results!
Best for the Beginner
- Doc Johnson Mood Naughty Trainer Kit: Simple & effective. The shape is a classic, for easy insertion and wear. The T-bar base is designed to fit easily between your butt cheeks.
- Blush Luxe Beginner Plug Kit: Small plugs with a loooong taper (what I would’ve wanted when I was trying to ease into anal sex). The round base is better suited for penis-in-vagina sex.
Best for Comfortable Long-Term Wear
- SquarePeg Egg Plugs: Squishy-squishy platinum silicone for comfort even all day long. These plugs are great for sizing up (so many choices). The signature anchor base is also awesome in terms of comfort.
- Oxballs Ergo plugs: Similar to the Egg Plugs—very soft, American-made, high-quality silicone, and almost identical T-bar base—but with a curving “kidney” shape to tickle the prostate.
- b-Vibe Snug Plugs: Torpedo-shaped toys with weight encased inside the silicone. The slim necks in these are better for anyone who wants to remember they’re plugged, but who doesn’t like the feel of their sphincter being held open.
Njoy Pure Plugs: The Weightiest (& Naughtiest)
Njoy Pure Plugs have a big, rounded bulb that feels delightful inside one’s ass. The weight of the stainless steel means that you’ll still feel the Pure Plug even after you’ve worn it for hours. The ring-loop base sits nicely between the ass cheeks—but for all-day wear, isn’t as comfortable as the above plugs.
Best Vibrating Butt Plugs
Vibration adds more sensation, stimulating the nerve endings in the anal canal & sphincters. These plugs aren’t specific to prostate: see this later section for that.
- VeDO Bump: A slimmer tapered plug with a classic shape & comfortable anchor base. Like the same brand’s Bam bullet vibe, the vibes are quite powerful but not the deepest. Bump’s biggest advantage over over vibrating plugs is that the control button is recessed. That means no accidental speed changes when you’re sitting on Bump!
- Blush Performance Plus Turbo: Slightly thicker than Bump and with a smooth, egg-like shape and a nice wide T-bar base. The satin smooth silicone gives this affordable toy a nice feel, and the bullet is removable so you can use it independently from the plug too.
- b-Vibe Rimming Plugs: These luxury plugs vibrate plus have rotating beads in the stem (hence “rimming”3). The vibes are good, but the rimming beads really kick it up a notch. The remote control lets you easily create what seems like a million different rimming + vibrating combinations. The base on this toy is chunky, so it’s best for use in-bedroom or around the house (not for longer wear). I like the smaller Petite size.
Harnesses / Strap-On Play
A good harness should be comfortable. Most cheaper options include (backpack-style) nylon straps, which are fine, but the choices below are more wearable long-term.
- SpareParts Joque: The best for comfortable fit plus support. Awesome material that’s breathable and stretchy (but not too stretchy), with a highly adjustable Velcro waistband. Joque has two vibe slots so the wearer can orgasm during play as well. See also Spareparts Deuce for double penetration/wear by someone with a penis. The stretchy O-ring can fit dildos up to about 2.25″ diameter.
- Aslan Leather: There really is something about leather. Jaguar is most popular overall, while Prince Minx has a cute lace-up back and fits wider hips than Jaguar (up to 60″). These supportive harnesses take a little extra work to care for, as they’re not machine-washable.
- Blush Temptasia Briefs: A very affordable brief-style harness that comes in lots of sizes. Good for comfortable packing.
- Blush Temptasia Twist Strap-On Kit: Set of silicone dildos that pairs well with the above. The 3 graduated sizes (from very small to below average diameter, 0.75″ to 1.25″) are a good, budget-friendly intro to anal play especially.
Explore a few inches inside a prostate owner’s rectum, on the bellybutton side, and you’ll find a sensitive area that responds to pressure—like a good massage and/or vibration! If the person receiving the prostate stimulation doesn’t have previous anal experience, try a set of tapered plugs so they can get comfortable with the sensation of having something inside their ass before playing with average-size toys, suction cup dildos, and/or pegging. And always use lube!
All the toys listed in the G-spot/Prostate Dildos section fit here, but the Njoy Pure Wand is the most loved. See All Male Sex Toys’ Pure Wand prostate massage tips for specific pointers!
Rumbly vibes + sensitive erogenous zones = mmmm.
- Blush Performance Plus prostate vibes: Excellent beginner toys, with a fairly strong removable bullet and smooth silicone bodies.
- We-Vibe Vector: A deep, penetrating vibe with two motors (one for prostate, one for outside) and an adjustable body to better suit different anatomies.
- Lovense Edge: Similar to Vector with its adjustable body, but has slightly stronger (if less rumbly) vibes and a bigger body: 1.4″ maximum diameter vs. Vector’s 1″, and a larger bump that rests on/stimulates the perineum (chode).
- Tantus Prostate Play: A plug whose shape that targets the prostate very exactly. I recommend replacing the included battery-operated bullet with a Tango for best results.
- LELO Bruno & Hugo: These are premium toys with quality vibes and two motors, one for prostate and one for perineum. Hugo is slightly thicker and includes a motion-activated remote control.
Aneros Wearable Stimulators
Aneros toys are meant to be worn like plugs, but clenched around. The user’s sphincters will move the toy forward, massaging the prostate. This is a gentle kind of play, and results may take time, versus a whoa-my-god toy like the Pure Wand or a strong vibe.
- Aneros Helix Trident & Maximus Trident belong to the new lineup of toys with “multi-axial” motion, that move more easily as you clench. Helix is the most popular shape, while Maximus offers a little more impact.
Add vibes to your penis play is a different sensation than normal stroking, and many find it really fun! In particular, the back of the cock head and the base of the shaft are vibration-sensitive zones.
- Fun Factory Manta: A rumbly vibe that you can turn at a 90-degree angle to stimulate both frenulum and coronal ridge at once, fit directly over either of those two sensitive zones, or run up and down like a stroker. This open toy is very stimulating but doesn’t fully cover the penis. (Check out the Hot Octopuss Pulse 3 instead for more coverage.)
- Man Wand: Strong, slightly buzzy vibes that pack a punch. This wand with taco sleeve is best to add stimulation while stroking.
- Magic Wand + Hummingbird attachment: Magic Wands are seriously powerful, so this is your strongest option. Go with the Magic Wand Plus or the cordless Magic Wand Rechargeable for 4 vibe speeds instead of the Original’s 2 (called “fuck” and “holy fuck,” popularly). The Hummer attachment is soft and see-through. Unfortunately, it’s porous TPE and needs extra attention like the stroker sleeves discussed next.
Cock rings are great for three separate uses: (1) When worn around the shaft, they restrict blood flow from the penis, so it’s easier to stay hard and many wearers have stronger orgasms when they do get off. (2) When worn underneath the balls, they apply pressure to the root of the penis, hitting that pressure point underneath the scrotum and adding sensation—especially if you use a vibrating cock ring. (3) When worn around the shaft (or in a ring with two motors), they give clitoral stimulation during PIV sex.
- Perfect Fit Silicone Cock Rings: No two penises are alike, so Perfect Fit makes 16 different-sized rings. They’re also available in 2-packs in case you measure your circumference but are torn between two size options.
- Oxballs Cock-T: A thick, stretchy silicone ring that does indeed feel “blubbery.” Oxballs promotes this toy as being great for creating a bigger bulge in your pants, and wearing longer than the usually recommended 30-minute limit for cock rings. The silicone is so awesomely squishy that I can definitely see this working with no harm done. The thickness of the material still helps ensure that you’ll last longer while wearing a Cock-T.
- We-Vibe Pivot: A vibrating ring that starts out deep and rumbly and gets really powerful! The silicone is a little stretchy, but not extremely. (If you have a thicker penis, the Screaming O Charged Skooch will be a better fit due to its extra stretch, and for the price the vibe quality is truly excellent.)
- Hot Octopuss Atom & Atom Plus vibrating rings: Both rings have good vibe quality. Atom is a standard ring (for wear around the shaft), while Atom Plus has two motors and is stretched under the ball sack to vibrate both your penis (and a partner’s bits too) and your testicles.
- Tenga Smart Vibe Ring: Powerful, rumbly vibes in an extended shape. The length is there to give the wearer’s partner more constant clitoral contact. The most common complaint about cock rings is that the vibes aren’t steady enough—what with all that in-and-out motion going on—so the Smart Vibe Ring allows more room for grinding and steady pressure.
Body-safe silicone penis extension options are still a limited market, unfortunately.
- VixSkin extenders: The most comfortable. Soft silicone with squishy head that is oh-so-good. Available in three sizes: Ride On is smallest, Holster is medium (at over 2″ across!!!), and Colossus is the big boy. Check the inner diameter in each listing for details about what’ll fit inside. I chose the Holster to make my average-girth Velvet Thruster feel more realistic, and I’m incredibly happy with the result.
- Blush Performance Plus extenders: The silicone is firmer than VixSkin, but still forgiving, at 5A-shore. These sheaths offer a tight, suction-y channel with ribs. Perfect for adding sensation, but don’t buy if your penis is above-average width or tapers outward at the base.
These toys are typically made of porous (but non-toxic) TPR/TPE, which can degrade with time, heat, and moisture. After using a porous stroker, make sure to wash thoroughly with water (don’t use soap on Fleshlights), shake out, and let dry thoroughly to prolong the toy’s lifespan.
- Fleshlights: The BIG name. Not sure which of these popular toys to pick? I hear: Fleshlight Ice for visual effect (see-through!) and great suction, Turbo Thrust for an effect that’s most like sticking your cock in someone’s mouth, or Quick Shot for a more compact size—and easier clean-up. Or for realistic porn-star effect: Fleshlight Girls all have a similar feel inside (the porn stars’ vaginal cavities aren’t molded, only their external genitalia), so pick whichever looks hottest to you. The same applies to Fleshlight Boys sleeves.
- Tenga: Discreet, non-realistic strokers. Popular models are the Flip Zero and Flip Hole series. The Tenga 3D models have fascinating textures and come with a drying stand to help remove moisture.
- Silicone Nozzles sleeves: These “ED” sleeves are attractive because they’re made from non-porous silicone, so you don’t have to worry so much about cleaning. Make sure to buy in 00-20, the softest silicone. Their site looks truly terrible, but I’ve read positive reviews of the products themselves.
Have more questions about any type of toy? I’m always happy to make personalized suggestions too: email me at email@example.com.
* * *
- With a few TPR/TPE strokers—which are porous but non-toxic—for external use only. (Toxic sex toys are still an industry-wide problem, sadly: I never recommend “jelly,” “rubber,” or PVC toys; or porous TPR/TPE insertable toys.)
- Which is kind of a low bar, to be fair: there’s no way this toy can compete with the We-Vibe Tango for rumbliness and sheer power.
- Is it exactly like actual rimming? No. But hell if it doesn’t feel pretty good.