So where do you find body-safe sex toys once you learn Amazon is filled with questionable and risky materials? Here’s my breakdown of reputable & discreet online sex toy sellers, including well-known indie & fantasy dildo makers! I focus on shops that sell all-safe materials—like platinum silicone dildos—with notes about how to find good deals.
- Peepshow Toys is a forerunner in the body-safe toy movement: they simply won’t sell porous toys.1 Peepshow Toys carries a wide range of both safe and affordable options: see often crazy-low prices on the deals page and bestselling under-$50 vibes, for example. They have a FedEx 2-Day collection where you get fast US shipping free when you spend $70. Plus save an extra 10% site-wide by entering code FELICITY at checkout. Browse my favorites here!
- Spectrum Boutique is a smart shop with a kick-ass Instagram account and an educational bent. Spectrum sells body-safe insertables and vibes, plus some TPR/TPE penis toys. Also use code FELICITY at checkout here to save 10% off your order.
- Lovehoney (US site here; Canadian site here; UK site here; EU site here) is a huge retailer with branches for customers throughout the world (including Australia and New Zealand). You do have to pay attention to the materials you buy on Lovehoney; they’re usually clearly listed, but many are not body-safe.2 Lovehoney has constant sales! See their deals pages by country: Lovehoney US, Lovehoney CA, Lovehoney UK, and Lovehoney EU.
- SheVibe’s fun comic-themed site offers a great selection and competitive prices. In all of SheVibe’s toy categories (like silicone dildos here!), there are boxes in the left sidebar/under the category name3 so you can easily filter out toys by brand, price, girth, length, and safe materials.4
- Betty’s Toy Box has a big selection, including lots of silicone dildos and an array of clit toys.
- For all your bondage and kinkier needs (dungeon furniture, anyone?), check out Stockroom. Categories include electrosex, fetish wear, as well as standard sex toys and harnesses.
- Early to Bed is a boutique shop with a focus on gender expression products, as well as a generous selection of dildos, vibes, and other sex toys. Get your BJ Dildo here, for example!
- Luvoqa is all body-safe with a very boutique feel.
- In the UK? Pleasure Garden has all body-safe toys, and carries select items by a couple of my favorite brands—Blush and BMS Factory—that you can’t find at Lovehoney, etc.
Other online retailers that I haven’t personally interacted with, but that have a good reputation, are Smitten Kitten, Come As You Are, SheBop, and Babeland.
Trustworthy Toy Makers & Etsy Shops
I can vouch for these toy makers, most of which are US-based and many US-produced too.
- Tantus has been making body-safe silicone dildos for 20 years now! Their offerings range from the very simple (like the classic Silk) to dual-density toys like Flurry and Cush. I especially recommend the Super Soft silicone dildos, and the pretty-soft, drippy Magma for the adventurous dildo-buyer.
- Blush Novelties products are sold by many online retailers, but I’m highlighting them here too because I love how affordable Blush’s platinum silicone is (and they make some damn powerful vibes too). Also, cheap, really realistic dual-density silicone? Hell yeah!
- Mr. Hankey’s Toys makes the best comfortable lifecast dildos in the industry: I’m drooling over vibrating Topher Michels, for one, and I also love my Nick Capra (in gold metallic tones!) for squishy realism. Hankey’s Toys specializes in BIG: from pretty damn large, to super large, to OMG-how-can-that-person-still-walk-afterward large realistic dildos—but they offer a (more average-size) Xtra-Small series too.
- Fleshlight and Fleshjack are known for their canister masturbation sleeves/strokers, but the company also makes silicone dildos: the fantasy-themed Freaks series, plus the Fleshjack Boys series of lifecast porn-star cocks.
- Uberrime (Etsy shop) creates a number of semi-realistic dildos and some abstract toys too. The dual-density Splendid is excellent, and the Fire & Ice Night King is one of my favorite textured dildos.
- RealDoll creates custom-made silicone sex dolls, plus three super-realistic luxury dildos in the RealCock2 lineup—now improved with 3 flesh tones & a Vac-U-Lock hole. The RealCocks are unique in that their triple-layer “Sil-Slide” technology allows the silicone to move and stretch a little more than other dual-density dildos. These are truly the most realistic dildos currently being manufactured. Every time I think about them, I want to touch them for the soft skin feel, and squeeze the floating testicles. 💖
There are many small fantasy dildo makers and Etsy stores out there, but these are the ones that I feel most confident recommending. All shops use skin-safe, platinum silicone for their dildos & other sex toys (like butt plugs, silicone penis strokers, squishies to rub off on clitorally, FtM penetrables, and even “teenies” mini dildos). These are unique, very colorful, and handmade fantasy dildos all!
Shops are US-based unless otherwise noted.
- Hankey’s Toys now makes fantasy toys too, including canine, equine, tentacle, and demon creatures—plus of course a Dragon dildo! For for 75% Soft silicone to get a density similar to “fantasy toy”/Bad Dragon medium density.
- Strange Bedfellas is one of the best Etsy dildo sellers in the US right now, IMO. My Tyv is a stunning pour, and I’m dying over the suckers on the Tentacle sleeve for We-Vibe Tango.
- Pleasure Forge offers Dungeons and Dragons-themed toys! I really love their creativity, and they always seem to be developing truly amazing colorations. I’m pleased with how my Illithid turned out, so much that I later bought a custom-marbled Ankheg! (And a lot of toys in 2020, because, well, we all needed some uplifting then.)
- Paladin Pleasure does freakin’ fantastic rainbow marbles, like in my Titan here. Incredibly bright & colorful.
- Bad Dragon is the most popular fantasy toy company. They make lots of toys, some more fantastical than others. See my Flint the Uncut Studded Dragon and Nox the Night Drake reviews for details.
- Uberrime has fantasy toys too: tentacles, plus other sea-themed and fantasy-esque toys here at SheVibe. The GoT Night King dildo (review here) also fits into the fantasy category fairly well.
- Fantasy Grove drew me in recently with their graffiti-splatter-esque/neon pours!
- John Thomas Toys is United Kingdom-based! A range of sizes for each toy, specialized for large anal — though I’ve enjoyed the Diablo’s Finger vaginally.
- Love Smiths are in France and do high-fantasy toys! (Like Lord-of-the-Rings style.) They have a large silicone masturbator selection (reviewed here) and also penetrables for large clits.
- Geeky Sex Toys (Australian, but cheap US shipping) is seriously creative about nerdy toys: tentacles, of course, and sea creatures and unicorn horns, but also D&D dice ball gags, laser swords, a Darth Vader wand vibe, and more, all in silicone. I’m digging the slick scales in my Drodong dragon dildo! Geeky is based in Australia, but worldwide flat-rate shipping is only $15 USD.5
- HodgePodge Entourage has some rad-looking toys like Scylla the dual-stimulating tentacle. I want a Sylph, because yay ridges!
- Wandering Bard is also high-fantasy / D&D based, with sweet colors and lots of recent sales.
- Kudu Voodoo has some different products: not just normal dildos, but packing dildos, silicone masturbators, silicone vulvas, and even a canine maw.
- Pris Toys makes dual-density dildos, as well as swirling single-layer silicone toys. See, for example, the Super Nova dual-density that SheVibe picked up in a coloration reminiscent of the VixSkin Johnny in Tie-Bright.
- Xenocat Artifacts’ toys are super-duper textured, very abstract creations. Look how gorgeous my custom Caiman alligator dildo turned out!
- Twin Tail Creations currently has 11 totally customizable dildos, many featuring a suction cup, like this Cortez I wanted to test for my Suction Cup Dildo Guide. TTC absorbed the fantasy maker Frisky Beast Creations in 2018 and is selling their models as well.
- Exotic Erotics is amazing at transforming inspiration photos (of various characters or whatever, really) into dildos. They have everything from high fantasy characters to robots, from human lifecasts to elephant trunks.
- Fruits & veg, anyone? SelfDelve corn on the cob, eggplant, cucumber, etc. are slick silicone toys that resemble your fave produce. And don’t forget the mushroom butt plug!
- Primal Hardwere is the place to go for ovipositors (egg-laying toys); also check out their very long dildos and inflatable dildos. (Plus a cactus and a lightbulb butt plug, because why not.)
- A Krow’s Nest is pirate-themed—arrrg! Only two firmnesses are available: soft and medium, which are comparable to Bad Dragon’s soft (=really squishy) and medium (=squishy, very flexible). The metallics and UV-reactive toys look stunning.
- Split Peaches offers silicone dildos and plugs in fun shapes (like the Unicorn Horn, the Screw You, and the steampunk-inspired Rivetor) and in more neutral shapes.
- Monster Cocks is the most premium fantasy toy maker—by the owners of the ultra-realistic RealCock brand. These horror dildos are not for the squeamish.
Sexual Health & Wellness Testing
Safe toys are one thing, but sexual wellness of course extends into sex with other human beings too! When you take new partners—even while using condoms or other barrier protection—it can be a real relief to know whether you’ve picked up any STIs. And discretion is a big concern here: For example, once I was concerned about a lingering throat infection after I gave some head at a sex club, so I went to a local clinic for testing—where I was asked questions about who with and what kind(s) of sex I’d had. Even as someone who writes about sex professionally, I found the questions intrusive! Online-ordered STI/STD testing is different: you pick whatever tests you want, you walk in and no one asks you why you need the tests, plus they’re not included in your permanent medical records. Check out:
- STDCheck.com (15% off link here) is a well-established, US-based service that uses FDA-approved tests. I pay for the 10-test panel myself, regularly, & would highly recommend it. You order the test(s) you want online, then visit a walk-in lab during business hours, whenever you want, to give your sample. Quest Diagnostics (they’re like the Walgreens of lab testing, tons of locations) and other major lab-test services are included, so there are tons of location options. Then, you get individual test-by-test result notifications as they come in, starting as early as 12 hours after you give your blood/urine samples, and with 2 days max. result time. It’s fast, which takes a lot of stress out if you’re anxious (like me!). The service’s doctors can prescribe and/or refer if you are positive for an STI with treatment.6 Or get more variety with their sister site, HealthLabs.com (15% off link here), which offers STI testing, sex-hormone testing, plus general wellness tests in the same order—you choose your wants.
- Or, first line of defense: Condoms. I love Lucky Bloke (buy from them here!!!), and I’ve been buying from them for almost five years, to get thinner and/or better-fitting condoms. The sampler packs are very helpful if you don’t know what size is best (or are taking new partners regularly); and the dimensions for each & every condom are present in its listing. In my experience, lots of guys who require a bigger condom don’t even realize that the average-size ones they’re using are NOT supposed to cut off so much sensation, nor should the condom start slipping off during hard thrusting (which a condom will do if it’s too tight around the base of the penis shaft. That’s scary). Lucky Bloke also only carries safe lubricants too: nothing with glycerin or propylene glycol, which can throw off vaginal pH & facilitate micro-tears. Lucky Bloke is a small business based in Oregon, and their customer service is excellent! One time I was trying to get better-sized condoms for my ex before a sexy vacation, and they rushed my order out during a February snowstorm.
* * *
- Even porous TPR/TPE penis toys, which are in the “lesser evil” category: they’re nontoxic, but require more care because they can begin to let bacteria & mold grow if they’re not cleaned thoroughly right after use or they’re left in direct sunlight, too much heat & humidity, etc.
- “Soft plastic” equals TPR/TPE, for the record; Lovehoney has made this toy material confusing lately.
- Desktop vs. mobile, respectively. On mobile, use the “Add or Remove Filters” drop-down menu right under the top cartoon and category name.
- Pick “Phthalate-free – Non-porous” to opt for only body-safe toy in any category (especially ones like “Realistic vibrators”) where some more-porous materials (TPR/TPE and PVC) are included.
- Or less: it’s free if your purchase is over $100.
- For example, bacterial infections like chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis can be cured by simple antibiotics. Or, I had a platonic friend who used STDCheck.com and tested positive for herpes (which is not curable), so she received information and counseling from a medical professional about how to avoid future outbreaks and how to best manage the condition.